Carl Clover (カルル＝クローバー Karuru Kurōbā), also known as Puppeteer (パッペティール Pappetīru) is the main protagonist in Light, Dark & Azure and the current wielder of the Arch-Enemy Event Weapon - Machine God: Nirvana. He is also from the Blazblue Series.
Carl is a young boy with light blond hair, a fair complexion, blue eyes and wears jam jar glasses. His typical attire consists of an 1800s, higher class, London-style outfit with long white sleeves, ending in purple cuffs, and purple shorts. These are accompanied with purple military style boots which end in steel toecaps, a gentlemen's purple top hat which covers his head, and a short purple cape which is attached to his body by a metal fixture in the shape of an 'X' and has a sort of cowbell hanging from it.
Carl has a very professional mindset, and dislikes being treated as a kid. He is always calm and collected, even when staring down a foe.
This, however, is a side effect of Nirvana. Behind his mature facade, Carl hides an almost crippling dependency upon his sister Ada. He suffers greatly on the inside because he has practically lost his entire family to his father Relius' experiments. From the get-go, the incident with Relius caused him to believe that all adults were liars who would only use him for their own ends. With the help of Litchi, Carl learns that his beliefs are not entirely true, and he overcomes his sorrows. Carl now wants to grow up to be someone like Litchi and Bang – good people who help those in need. It is for this reason that Carl did not condemn Litchi for siding with Relius and NOL, and instead shows concern that she is in danger.
It's clear that Carl has strong feelings for Yoshino. However, He shyly hides the fact that he's in love with her from everyone, due to the fact that he had been staying and traveling with her in a past few days (and people keep gossiping about his relationship with her).
Carl and Nirvana were in the forest going on a new journey. Carl remembered that his "master", Bang Shishigami, told him to stay out of trouble. He then encounters Yoshino. Carl told her that he will take her somewhere save. Later, both Carl and Yoshino found a shrine, a safest spot for both of them, but little did they know that they were being stalked by Rachel Alucard.
Carl does not appear to have much in the way of fighting ability, but uses the power of Magic Element in order to create mechanical constructs such as cogs and the like to attack his opponents. Accompanied by the Arch-Enemy, Machine God: Nirvana, the two are a deadly duo. Nirvana attacks using her blunt strength and steel claws, but like Carl, she does not appear to have much in the way of fighting, as she is often seen in a hunched position doing nothing until commanded. However, she reacts strongly to Magic Element, other Arch-Enemy, or those who have great power such as Hazama, Valkenhayn R. Hellsing, and Rachel Alucard.
Carl's Drive is Automaton, which springs the usually hunched over Nirvana to life, ambling towards him and only as long as the Drive button is held down. The entirety of Carl's moveset revolves around using Nirvana and her moves can only by inputting a command after releasing the Drive button. While Carl's own attacks are quick, Nirvana attacks with slow and crude but powerful physical strikes like double axe handles and punches. The downside is that Nirvana runs on a gauge and once depleted, she shuts down and sparks, rendered unusable until the gauge charges back up, leaving Carl very vunerable. His Overdrive is Synchronized High Speed, which increase Nirvana's overall speed.
- "Carl" is a North Germanic male name meaning "strong man" or "free man". The name originates in Scandinavia.
- In some of Carl's early designs, he was depicted with red eyes like Rachel and Ragna.
- Carl's birthday, May 5, is also the date of the Japanese and Korean holiday Children's Day, and the American/Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo.
- With the exception of Deus Ex Machina, Automaton and Synchro High Speed, all of Carl's attack names are named after musical terms, and are reminiscent of Italian.
- When he is electrocuted, there is what looks like a small Nirvana-like object with a controller, and two wires are connected to his head.
- The term "Deus ex machina" is Latin for "god out of the machine", it is a plot device whereby a seemingly inextricable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object.
- In BlazBlue: Chronophantasma, Carl will direct the player through the Tutorial Mode's section Intermediate- Cancelling.
- Carl and Helios shared the same japanese voice actress and english voice actress.
- No matter how many times Carl can prevent Helios from controlling his body and killing people, He will still be controlled by him at all times.
- His clothes are based on his blazblue theme itself, Marionette Purple.
- Carl is the leader of team Light, Dark & Azure.
Musical Themes Edit
- Jitter Doll (Carl Clover's Theme)
- Marionette Purple (Carl Clover's Blazblue Theme)
- Jitter Doll -Revenge- (Unlimited Carl's Theme)
- I'll Face Myself (Carl Clover vs. Dark Angel Helios Theme)
- Make A Move (Carl Clover vs. Chaos Theme)
- BANGARANG (Carl Clover vs. Bridget Theme)
- Fragments (Carl Clover & Yoshino Theme)
- Night Walker (Carl Clover & Dark Angel Helios vs. Laharl, Etna & Flonne Theme)
- Scraper Sky High (Carl Clover & Yoshino vs. Bridget & Silica Theme)